WEDNESDAY, 3 MARCH 2010
Two (possibly) unrelated thoughts:
1. My blue electric guitar that I bought in 2000 in a manic period when I thought I was going to become a rock star or something has finally revealed its true purpose and value: to be sold after ten years for food money that might last for as long as two weeks.
2. In case I missed it, the point is education, and more specifically, me facilitating other people’s education. I think the topic is obvious: financial independence. (How does it work if I am struggling to keep my own head above water? We learn from each other’s mistakes, and from what we gather on the way to our destination.)
It is better to be psychotic and/or to live in a delusion than it is to give up. “One can never be radical enough; that is, one must always try to be as radical as reality itself,” Lenin apparently once said.
FRIDAY, 5 MARCH 2010
– The successful person – family and friends regard him as successful, so do colleagues and acquaintances, but above all, he regards himself as successful
– The one who has given up – draws life-energy from anyone who’s still trying; shoots down all ideas; sours hope; criticises everything; bitter demeanour
– The one who keeps trying – even if it comes to a point where his friends and family start thinking he will never “make” it, even if he fails to achieve his objectives in the reasonable time he had set for himself, he will continue working on them, and he will probably continue until the day he withers away and disappears into the nothingness
SUNDAY, 21 MARCH 2010
Nothing accentuates your shame and embarrassment quite as much as having absolutely no cash, and not enough money in the bank to withdraw what you do have from an ATM.
FRIDAY, 26 MARCH 2010
For years, I have had this tendency to be uncomfortable about the possibility of excessive happiness.
Says a voice in my head: You are doing about 25 or 30% on the happiness scale at the moment. Many people can go to about 80% before they start feeling giddy. You can personally go to about 60 or 65% before your head will explode – which means at least for the foreseeable future you don’t have anything to worry about.
MONDAY, 29 MARCH 2010
Protect the spirit – that is your main responsibility. When the spirit goes, everything goes.